With that said, sorry if this is TMI.
My goal with nursing was originally to go to 1 year. Once that was passed, I decided to go until school started (13 m 1 wk). Then it was to 14 months. The past few days I've really felt that my reasons for continuing the nursing were purely selfish. She drinks tons of milk from the sippy cup and isn't reliant on me for the hydration. I'm increasingly needing to leave for work at 7AM, which is right when she wakes up (and that's when I nurse her). Granted, there is no true replacement for the nutrients derived from nursing. The last point aside, I feel that it's been selfish for a little while. I've been holding on to nursing as my last physical attachment to my little girl. I was pregnant with her for 9 1/2 months, and have now nursed her for 14 more. For the last two years I have had a connection with her that cannot be replaced.
But there comes a time when a child must be weaned, and she is ready. In some sense I am too (esp. in regards to work). So I decided that Sunday will be the last day.
This is the first closed chapter of her life that I am truly mourning over. I've been feeling downcast knowing this day is soon approaching. BUT...There will be many more closed chapters, I know. I'm so glad they're not all happening at once.
Hi Jess - I've never been a super long nurser (16 months was longest yet...we'll see how long I go with Drew), but just wanted to encourage you that it's not selfish to want to continue! It's really healthy for you and for her. Keep in mind in ancient times they didn't wean until kids were 3 or 4 years old....
ReplyDeleteI read your blog :) I'm sure that is a big chapter to close! You will find lots of benefits to not nursing though...I'm sure it is a bittersweet time for you
ReplyDeleteHi Jess, Yes we do read your blog, I just didn't know how to comment until now. I have heard your same feelings expressed by other mothers and it only sounds natural to me. But you will keep that connection and strengthen it more in other ways as she gets older. Makes me wish we all lived closer. I'd love to see her grow up.
ReplyDeleteHey Jess :) Here's some more audience for you. I agree with Jenna - if you and she want to continue, then there's NO reason not to. It's good for both of you and there's no reason to stop nursing at 12 months. Do what works best for your family, whether that's weaning or continuing that sweet snuggle session in the early morning. :) Nursing is wonderful.
ReplyDelete...sorry, I meant "Janna". :)
ReplyDeleteAnd if you'd like to read an article I came across from an excellent magazine that I subscribe to called Mothering, here's a link: :)
ReplyDeletehttp://mothering.com/not-just-babies-10-good-reasons-breastfeed-your-toddler
Lily and I just experienced this. It is such a time full of mixed emotions. I'm so happy for all the special time we had nursing, but I'm appreciative of the freedom that I have again. But, that weaning time helped me learn to be more creative in connecting with her in other ways-- musically, physically, verbally. I still feel very connected. She asks occassionally for it still, but I just say, "It's all gone! Let's snuggle and get some milk in your cup." How are you doing with it now? Does she ever ask?
ReplyDelete