Friday, November 26, 2010

Modaff Thanksgiving: Boston Edition

This year we had our first in-home thanksgiving. I've got to give credit to all those who do this every year, because cooking this meal is not easy. I need at least a few more years practice.

None of it was bad, but there were some differences from the way my mom or Matt's mom does things. The stuffing was over-salted and a little off (bright idea to add turkey sausage didn't work out), turkey wasn't fully cooked, 24-hour salad wasn't quite the right recipe, forgot to buy bread crumbs to put on top of potato casserole, rolls weren't home-made.

And it's lonely being the only one cooking in the kitchen. My hubby was doing home improvement projects and tending to Katie while I cooked, which was a necessity, plus I knew it would be meaningful to him if he could watch the football game. But when there are several adults hanging around the house all day, it makes the cooking more social and less menial. Since Kaitlin is so young, having a solo-family Thanksgiving is rather quiet. Thankfully we did go over to our friend's house for dessert. Kaitlin had an opportunity to let our her rambunctious energy with their kids while we chatted.

Alas, there was a sense of accomplishment at making our first family Thanksgiving dinner. I'm sure we'll have many more in our future, and there will be funny stories to tell about how we burnt the turkey or forgot to add seasoning to the stuffing. The experience is certainly a huge part of the memory. I'm looking forward to more Thanksgivings where Kaitlin can help her mommy cook, friends will come over, and the execution of the meal will become a little more refined!


1 comment:

  1. one year we'll have to come and we can cook together! that would be fun:) i'm impressed you pulled it off...it will only get better!

    ReplyDelete