Merry Christmas vs. Happy Holidays. "Happy Holidays" is a more all-inclusive term than "Merry Christmas." It could be used for Hanukkah, Ramadan, Kwanzaa, Easter, and Chinese New Year in the same manner that it can be used for Christmas. This is similar to calling Wednesday a "Weekday."However, it does not negate the meaning for those who are celebrating Christmas. Holiday means "Holy Day," and Christmas is a holy day. So why not say "Happy Holidays?!"
Santa Claus. Most non-Christians (I hate that word but I'll use it anyway) don't think twice about whether they're going to "do Santa Claus" in their house. There is a certain wonder about a jolly fat man w/beard and cool costume coming invincibly from his home at the North Pole, along with 8 flying reindeer, to leave cool individualized gifts on Christmas morn. Who wouldn't want to believe in this guy?!!!! I loved the magic of Santa when I was young. And nobody's denying the magical power he can bring. The question here is this: Can Christian families include Chris Kringle in their tradition without stealing from the central purpose of the holiday? (Yes, I used the word holiday) My answer: I don't know, maybe. I don't think it's worth being party poopers and teaching your kids that SC is totally a myth and not worth discussion. But I don't know how effective it is to teach your kids that SC is real even when you know he is not, and someday they will learn the same (that statement being directed to those who embrace the Christian faith behind the holiday). When SC is presented as real in a Christian home, is it not difficult to then emphasize the birthday celebration of Christ as the more important aspect of Christmas? Christ's bday will, hands down, take a back seat to Santa's coming. I wonder if there is a happy medium? Can we teach that Santa was a historical figure, a really great man who gave gifts generously to children, and he did it because he loved God? Can we somehow teach our children to "be a Santa" to someone this year, to someone who is in need? Can we teach children to give gifts in the same spirit that Christ was a gift to us? Can we draw a parallel between Santa and the Three Wise Men? Obviously some unprocessed thoughts here.
Christmas is rooted in the Christian Faith. Certain aspects of Christmas, such as the tree, presents, lights, and nativity scenes are upheld or practiced because of their Christian symbolism. The tree was first symbolic of the paradise in the Garden of Eden. Presents are symbolic of the undeserved gift of Christ's coming to the earth and perhaps a mimicking of the 3 Wise Men. Lights are symbolic of the star that led Mary and Joseph to Bethlehem. And Nativity Scenes are pictures or reenactments of Christ's birth in a cow stall. I think it's a little ironic that Government officials (and other public institutions) are resisting placing Nativity Scenes outside their buildings, yet do not get rid of trees, presents and lights. The symbolism of these things is not a secret. Trees and lights are, to my knowledge, in no way symbolic aspects of Hanukkah or any other religious holiday. So why the selectivity? What makes Nativity Scenes any more Christian than the tree, lights or presents? (side note: giving presents on each of the 8 days of Hanukkah is a relatively new tradition, and is influenced by the Christmas tradition, or so I read in places online) My point here is not to make non-Christian people adhere to the beliefs wrapped up in this Christian tradition, but rather to remind folks that the tradition as we observe it has its religious roots. It would be ridiculous to ask a Jew to get rid of the menorah while they celebrate Hanukkah, just as it would be kind of weird for a Buddhist to put Christmas lights outside their house. If the government or the public want to take Christ out of Christmas, should they then be respectful by not using the elements that are symbolic of the faith tradition?
I don't know what I think in regards to the last question. Oh culture, how you confuse me.
Christmas is a time to remember God's promises. Over thousands of years, by many authors spanning the continents, it has been promised and prophesied that God would bring a saviour to us, and that he will come again one Day in all his glory. I believe Jesus was that saviour. No person at the time of his life argued Christ's birth, existence, works, words, miracles, or death. The man in the bible known as Jesus Christ is historically backed by all sorts of sources. And we Christians believe His coming to earth was a promise made by God, a promise that was fulfilled in the body of Jesus ("The Word [i.e. scripture, God's Word, which is also synonymous with Truth] became flesh and made his dwelling among us, and we have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth"). He promises to come again. For those who call themselves Christians: At Christmas, let us not forget to remember the future promise of Christ's return as we hold on to the fulfilled promise of his first coming. We do not simply celebrate Christ's birthday, but we anticipate his return!
No comments:
Post a Comment