Thursday, August 5, 2010

For you or for me? Stuff about Kaitlin.

I don't know who this post is for. If I am honest it's probably for me so that I may selfishly remember what motherhood at various stages was like. But you can continue reading if you are interested.

Kaitlin's stats: At her one-year appointment she weighed 20 lbs 12 ounces, was 31 inches tall, and her head circumference was 18 cm. Percentiles were 46/95/65 respectively.

On her first birthday she took her very first unassisted step towards her daddy. My mom tells me that I should record this in her baby book as her first steps. It was more like a tumble towards daddy so I was reluctant to make it official, but my mom said so, so I guess it was her first step.

Since then she continues to take only one or two steps unassisted, usually as she transfers from one piece of furniture to another. So no walking just yet. I'm totally fine with that and am in no hurry for her to become more mobile :o)

Lately she has been saying the following words: dada, mama (but I don't think she knows that's my name), t (for "cat" she drops the first consonant and vowel), ba (for ball), da (for dog), suhzuh (for her favorite doll, Suzie), wow, uh-oh (but usually uh uh uh oh oh oh oh), and mum mum (her favorite snack). When mumbling in the car, she has been known to repeat "dawn dawn dawn" and "boy oh boy oh boy" and "dih dih dih" over and over again. When she sees a cat or dog, she says the word emphatically and points. She also points at a lot of other things.

Kaitlin enjoys playing with balls. She will throw or roll the ball towards Matt or I and get really excited right afterwards. She also has a book entitled "Peek a boo Bard" where you press a button and a small stuffed lizard named Bard pops out from the back of the book. She would press the button all day, I think. She also enjoys peek a boo. Sometimes on the changing table she will put a small ball over her eyes and start to giggle in a "I'm not supposed to make any sound cuz I'm playing peek a boo but this is SOOO funny" way. The funny thing about this is that the only thing she's hiding is her eyes, but she thinks I really can't see her.

She also loves her dolly Suzie, but has a great regard for cookies the dog, moose-moose, and cookie monster. I think she will grow attachments to many of her stuffed animals over the coming years.

As for eating, since I wrote about this in the last post, she is eating more normal foods. The biggest thing is that she's taking to a sippy cup more and has no problem drinking whole milk. So we're down to one nursing session a day. That is craaazay. How many of you moms out there hear me on the strange sensation of almost being done with nursing?! She enjoys chicken noodle soup, grapes, chicken and dumplings (I think those are the only "real" food items she has eaten since the last post) but the key to this is that she wants to use the spoon and wants to feed herself.

If you are still with me, I thank you for your indulgence.

And as a final thought, it struck me this morning that I might possibly...officially have a toddler...(?)!

No comments:

Post a Comment