It has been an interesting past few days. On a light note, I got most of my first Theory exam (to give, not to take) written and had the chance to spend some quality time with my hubby on a Saturday, which never happens. We went to the mall, bought him a pair of athletic pants and ate a "romantic" dinner at the north shore mall food court. Insert chuckle here.
On a slightly heavier note, I've been thinking a lot lately about the act of nursing; breast feeding, that is. We all know it's a personal thing, and boy do I now know this. There's nothing more personal than several times a day offering someone a body part you once deemed private. And there's nothing more personal than having to do it in public, when previously you were quite modest. Also it requires a LOT of time. I stop what I am doing for a 1/2 hour every two hours and give her what she needs to survive. During the first few days of nursing, I had doubts about being able to last because of how much time it required. It also took a great deal of learning and pain to get it right. But when I breast feed my child, I'm not only giving her the best food she could have but I also am giving her me. She is dependent on me doing this. Because I do this, she trusts me and knows me more than any other person. It's such a special bond which I have never experienced with another human being. And it's a pleasure to finally know this feeling which I have heard so much about. A mom and a daughter will form a bond regardless of how she is fed, but I am enjoying the experience of bonding with my little one through nursing.
Well said... I always struggled to tell people why I nursed and why I was sad to have to stop doing it. Millie holds her own bottle now but on those rare occasions she wants to snuggle up close while she takes her milk makes me remember that bond we created when I was nursing. I'm super excited about this blog and can't wait to see more stories!
ReplyDeleteSo glad nursing worked out after the initial stress. Are you able to pump at work and feed her bottled breastmilk on days when you're gone?
ReplyDeleteI feel the same way! Love it!
ReplyDeleteJenna - yes, I pump while at work. She's never had anything but breast milk!
ReplyDelete