o·ver·ex·tend
ˌōvər.ikˈstend
verb
- 1. impose on (someone) an excessive burden of work or commitments.
"She should not overextend herself with work as much as she does"
Or, another way to put it: When you crave time off in the worst way because you're so busy, but when it comes, you can't enjoy it because there's simply too much to do.
I remind myself all of the time that this is just a season. It's a crazy ride - this whole "doing school and work at the same time" thing. Yet, I always seem to choose paths that are not typical. I didn't just study music in high school, I embraced absolutely every opportunity I could, making myself insanely saturated and busy. I moved 2k miles away from home for school, even though I was pegged as a homebody. I way over-did it as an undergrad, sometimes causing my friends to remind me how selfish it caused me to be. I married 5 days after college graduation. That was pretty stressful. My husband and I went through graduate school at the same time. Most people advise against something like that, though we survived just fine. I gave birth then began teaching college classes 5 weeks later. I began work on a DMA in spite of having a young child and a full-time job. If I let myself be honest, then I have to say I enjoy these challenges. I feel pushed to my limits, farther beyond what even I think I can do. Then, when I achieve my goals, the taste of those achievements is sweeter than anything. Well, sweeter than most things.
In spite of this, I hope that, after this DMA season is over, I learn to slow down, to enjoy life at a predictable and reasonable pace. I think my husband, daughter, and body will thank me.
For now, I navigate the crazy schedules, performance and work demands, and eye twitches one day at a time.
No comments:
Post a Comment