Sunday, January 30, 2011

Last Day

Today is the last day of the Daniel Fast. As I sort-of told you before, this is a spiritually-driven fast that models after Daniel (of the Old Testament, chapter 1 and 10). Basically it's an opportunity to deny yourself of indulgences like sweets, breads, animal products, artificial ingredients (yes, they are indulgences only when you realize how many good foods have them), and preservatives...and fill those voids with prayer and discipline.

It's been a good journey; spiritually, physically, and mentally. I have some more clarity on the future, lost a couple pounds, and have had my eyes opened to the ridiculousness of the food industry (particularly the degree of removal regarding Where Our Food Comes From). I made every breakfast, lunch, and dinner for the past 21 days from scratch. I learned I have more discipline than I thought, and can actually overcome hunger pangs without eating. And after slowly decreasing my intake over the span of the fast, *gasp* I gave up coffee for 10 days.

Tomorrow I will be getting up early, purchasing a cup of coffee from Starbucks, getting work done in lightning speed (thank you, caffeine), teaching a quick class at 8AM then meeting my hubby for a Breakfast of Gargantuan Proportions at our favorite local diner. mmm...

1 comment: