Today is day 1 of a special fast my husband and I are doing. It's called the Daniel Fast, and it's basically a vegan diet with other restrictions (i.e. no sugar, preservatives, artificial ingredients, beverages other than water).
Yes. You can call us crazy. I think we are.
We have chosen to do this on our own free will, but the reasons are out of spiritual obedience. It's an opportunity to allow God's creation to sustain us the way it was originally intended to, and also a time for us to seek His will, be challenged in discipline and self-denial, and who knows what else.
Therefore, I will be doing the bulk of my reflecting on my own aside from this blog, but for those who are interested, I will periodically post some of the recipes we've tried.
For breakfast I had steel-cut oats with strawberries and blueberries. I added the fruit at the end of the cooking when the oats were still in the pot, making the flavor of the whole quite sweet.
Here's what we had for lunch:
Leafy Greens
Tomatoes, sliced
Red Peppers, chopped
1 can corn, rinsed
1 can black beans, rinsed
1 avocado, sliced
1/8 cup onion, sliced
*Dressing*
1 lime, juiced and zested
3 T fresh orange juice
1/4 cup olive oil
1 T brown mustard
Dash of pepper, cayenne pepper, oregano, chili powder (I just threw in whatever sounded good)
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
We also made a huge batch of apple sauce, using a whole bag of red delicious apples. And the new potato masher my mother-in-law gave for Christmas.
My husband is dying of hunger. I, on the other hand, am quite content. We'll see how the tables turn as the days go on!
It's interesting to think that there is a diet for artificial ingredients and preservatives, because to me, that's just common sense normal eating!
ReplyDeleteAnyways, hope you guys are holding up with it, particularly your hungry husband!