Saturday, March 5, 2011

Answered prayer

For months we have been praying for Dr. Gary Parrett. A professor at the seminary, Matt had chose him as one of his favorites early on. As a hobby, Dr. Parrett had written many texts to well-known hymn tunes. Years ago both Matt and I had spent time singing through these hymns, marveling at the amazing gift this man had been given to somehow capture the essence of our faith and human nature from so many angles (and in prose, none the less). So I, from afar, and Matt, as his student, both revered this man.

In early July 2010, Dr. Parrett was traveling in Korea with a friend and partner in ministry when his bus toppled through the guard rail on a bridge and landed far below. His friend was killed (12 total perished), and he was critically injured (12 total). The news hit hard in Boston and elsewhere. Both Matt and I felt an overwhelming sadness for this man and his family, and we fervantly began praying. I had never met him but I felt as if I had.

A few months later we started coming to a church pretty far from where we live. I found it a little ironic that it was the same church Dr. Parrett attended, and everyone there knew of what had transpired. Such a change from being the only ones in our current world to even know who he was! We've even worshipped to his amazing original hymn settings. With his hospital stay and physical limitations we hadn't seen him despite the fact that we've been at the church for almost half a year (ok, we saw him in passing once for about 2 seconds, but that doesn't count).

Last night we had a very special gathering of folks from our church who live up in our area (aka "Let's build community amongst the folks who drive really far to go to this church"). Dr. Parrett and his wife were there!! I exchanged only a couple words with him, but my husband got to eat dinner with him, share life stories, introduce myself and our daughter. I could see my husband's delight at getting to spend these special moments with this man after so many months of praying for him.

At the end of the evening, a fully-aware Dr. Parrett looked me in the eye, shook my hand, and thanked me for our prayers. It was a moment of deep peace for me although I am not sure I can describe it in words.

It was such a profound privilege to finally get to know him, and in his current state! We've prayed countless nights for him, we've heard the bad prognosis, we have sensed the grief in his family's writing and grieved with them. Yet, in spite of it all they have always remained full of faith, and we were blessed to also see Dr. Parrett's steadfast faith last night in full measure. He does not have the same physical and verbal ability as before, but he is still recovering. Matt said a current doctor compared a brain scan from right after the accident with one now, and had to double check that the first scan was actually his. The recovery he's made is nothing short of a miracle.

With all the bad news in the world, I wanted to share one story of hope. Today I am reminded of the mystery of God's grace. While I can't fully understand it, and I can't fully appreciate it, I know it exists.


3 comments:

  1. That's awesome Jess! How wonderful to see your prayers come round full circle so to speak!

    I just started following your blog the other week. Keep those posts coming girl!

    love, Becca Stringer

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, jess that's so awesome!! such an amazing story! I can't believe you were with him the other night too. so awesome!

    ReplyDelete