I am starting to notice that the strangers who stop to comment on Kaitlin ("How old is she?" "Wow, look at that head of hair!" "What a beautiful little girl." "Enjoy your peace and quiet while you can." "They don't stay that young forever." etc) are all at least one generation older than me. Why is that?
Nobody who is 30 stops to say these things. Sometimes I see them sneaking a peak after we pass each other in the aisles of a grocery store. But no one says anything to me.
I think the wonder of human infancy is something we take for granted while in the "middle" years of our life. We're too busy to stop and appreciate things, too much in a hurry to become older and wiser.
Jeremy and I think about this all of the time and try to really enjoy Adeline now cause I know she'll grow up too fast!
ReplyDeleteI was pondering this very thing just last night, in the wake of Colin's first birthday. I was thinking to myself how many times I heard things like "it goes by so quickly, you should enjoy it." And I DID enjoy it, even though there are so many things that are already over and done with in the blink of an eye. But I miss it. And so when these people say that to you, it's almost their way of saying how much they simply miss those moments, and how sad they are about how far away those memories are.
ReplyDelete