On this date in 2001, if you had told me I had 9 years to live, that I would move to Chicago and then Boston, get two degrees, marry an amazing man, buy a house and give birth to a daughter, I would have thought that to be a pretty darn good deal.

On this date in 2001, I had my whole life ahead of me. And so did all my peers. We had just graduated from high school one month before.
On tomorrow's date in 2001, I got a phone call around 9AM. It was Karen FitzPatrick's father, John. He identified himself then said, "Have you heard?" Silence ensued. I knew by the tone of his voice what he was going to say. He explained that Karen had been dispatched to fight a small brush fire that got out of control. It had claimed her life and three others.
I felt stupid. I had received a postcard from her about a month beforehand,

and saw her two weeks prior ("We've GOT to hang out," we both said) at the Warehouse Theater parking lot. She was leaving church and I was going to rehearsal. But I didn't even know she had gone into firefighting. Some friend.
I don't really remember what happened next. I know I called my mom, think I called my sister, called Lacy. Later that day Mr. Rees, Erik, Jeremy and I were all going to visit Mrs. Yergen in the hospital post-surgery. When arriving solo at the hospital, I could immediately tell they did not know and the burden of sending the message was on me. It was so incredibly hard, one of the harder things I'd had to do up to then. We chose not to tell Mrs. Yergen. After that Cheryl came over to my house and we talked through our disbelief. That night we had rehearsal for whatever show we were doing at the Warehouse Theater. I couldn't control my sobbing while I played.
The following days are a blur. We held the memorial at Stone Church, and Cheryl & I did the music. I'll never forget the version of "I'll Fly Away" we did. Lacy & I sat next to each other and one's sobs would spur on the other's. The memorial for all four firefighters was at the Sundome. The procession was miles long. Civic employees from all over were in attendance.
Our parents must have felt so helpless during this time.
Grief is a strange thing. I will never quite understand. You can't measure it. You can't anticipate it's depth. You can't simulate it. You don't know when it will pop up again. It's just grief.
Her death was the first impactful one in my life. I am so glad she trusted in the Lord and that her lifesong still proclaims His glory.

9 years ago I lost one of my best friends. I've had 9 more years than her. And in spite of all that has happened in these 9 years, I still feel as though I've got my whole life in front of me. I don't know if there will ever come a time when I can say "I've lived long enough." That's what makes death so hard sometimes.
I think, if she were still here, she would have had three kids by now. It's fun to imagine her being a mom, just for a moment.
I'm fine. Today I'm thinking about who she was, who she was to me, what happened, and what has happened since. Nobody in my present life knows of my loss from 9 years ago. Except a few friends and family who live thousands of miles away. It's a very strange reality to reconcile.
Five-hundred-twenty-five-thousand-six-hundred minutes.
How do you measure a year in the life?
(Or in this case, four-million-seven-hundred-thirty-thousand-four-hundred)
"Grief is a strange thing. I will never quite understand. You can't measure it. You can't anticipate it's depth. You can't simulate it. You don't know when it will pop up again. It's just grief."
ReplyDeleteThis is a powerful description of grief.
I've been anticipating Karen's memorial for a few days now, and I was happy to see that you remembered and wrote about it, too :)
Thanks, Jess. I keep the date on the calendar to remember her, and the precious nature of life. I too, will never forget our time spent working out some of that grief through music, and ministering to others at the memorials. After reading your blog, I sang Lily a teary version of "I'll Fly Away"-- I will never forget that either.
ReplyDeleteBeing in California, I also understand that feeling of friends not knowing something about you that impacted you so deeply. This was a great way to share that, work out your feelings, and honor Karen's life. Yep...three kids sounds about right...and she would still be in amazing shape and lifting weights (we just lift our little girlies!).
Perfectly said! such a great tribute Jess! I love thinking about the fun memories of her too. And, I love what Cheryl said how she would still be in such great shape and lifting weights and we're all just lifting our little girlies. So true! I could just see it!
ReplyDeleteShe was wonderful!! You know she would put on little tea parties for our little girlies too! Wouldn't that be fun!! Love her and miss her so much!
7-14-10
ReplyDeleteHello All Girlfriends of Karen Lee:
Hey, remember how she tried to go back to her baby name, "Karilee," and it just wouldn't stick? I remember coming across her baby pin I used to put on her little pajama in the church nursery, "Kari..Refreshing Spirit."
Watch out as she may be reverting to the olkd name in the next life when we see her! LOL
Thanks for your comments and rememberances..everyone seemed to have more than a usual bond with Karen..it was always just huge! She still speaks today in the book aboiut her, "ANGEL PROMISES...REMEMBERING THE YOUNGEST FIREFIGHTER." I will be in another ASCI Christian School International conference in October in Portland, last year was in Seattle. The ideal place for her book is in the hands of teens in Christian school! Well, I miss her but, she just keeps going on!--Kathie FitzPatrick, Mom
Thanks for the words, Kathie. It's good to hear from you, and remember all the fun things about her.
ReplyDeleteWow jess. this is powerful. a beautiful tribute to your dear friend Karen and an important reminder to us all of how fragile our earthly lives are. thank you.
ReplyDelete